-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
















CONVERSATIONS WITH GOETHE

JOHANN PETER ECKERMANN


There was a summer in my early 20's when I read nothing but Goethe. For years I've been meaning to read more & I'm finally rereading his conversations with his friend and admirer, Johann Peter Eckermann. Goethe did everything from writing canonical works of Western literature, to developing influential color theories (and illustrating them with lovely watercolors) to breaking ground in the study of optics and anatomy. I've often thought that the feel of Goethe's summer house might just be the perfect symbol for the feeling I have reading him and I look forward to revisiting the calm, clear, intelligent mind that inhabits everything he wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment